Friday, April 30, 2010

OIL PAINTING OF INDIAN BLANKET FLOWER

INDIAN BLANKET FLOWER SOLD
7 X 5 OIL ON PANEL
These cheerful little flowers are easily grown in the south. I planted them in my garden once and they over ran everything else.
About the background in my paintings, they vary quite a bit depending on the colors of the subject matter. In any painting the background needs to be either lighter or darker than the flower (or whatever). Of course this one is darker and I chose warm umbers and ochers (for harmony and a general warm overtone). To keep it from being flat and monotonous I put in some yellow-greens (a complementary color) and some of the magenta color of the flower.
Occasionally I have an overwhelming urge to splash on a color like bright purple (or orange) in the background. I am not sure if this is divine guidance or a bad case of purple-itis. Usually you can tell the difference by the end result.
If you have questions, comments, or would like to purchase this painting email me at
PayPal invoicing is available and it is safe and easy. To see more of my original oil paintings browse through the over 300 paintings in the older post on my
Elizabeth Blaylock
Gulf Shores, Alabama

1 comment:

Roxanne Steed said...

oh I LOVE these colors! gorgeous!